Friday 9 May 2008

Connection

I have been thinking about the 'power of connection' recently and what it really means.

Sometimes this connection can be really tangible or sometimes less so. Having recently run the 10K with another 3676 people, I can't help but feel a sense of 'connection' with them, even though I only spoke to a few of them who ran the race, I still feel that connection. I suppose some of it is around a shared experience, we all went through something together....and came out the other side!!!(Sorry that is a little melodramatic.)

This point is better exampled by the stories from the soldiers who took part in the Normandy landings and beyond, how they developed a bond with each other that was almost beyond their own families....how they became a band of brothers....developing the ultimate connection with each other

It was exactly that type of connection that Jesus developed with His disciples, which in turn they developed within the early church, and as in the Normandy landings, often in in adverse circumstances.

Going back to the 10K, Nessa decided to write a short letter to a few of our neighbours explaining what we were doing, asking for their support. The response we have had from our neighbours has been fantastic and in all honesty I have had more conversations with our neighbours because of this 'adverse' situation ie) Josh's condition, than I have had for some time...connections have come through an unlikely circumstance.

In concluding... naturally I am a shy person, and over the years I have tended to keep my head down, avoiding making a connection, but now I will do my best to make that connection...after all as in the latest line from the Dr. Pepper ad 'What's the worst that can happen?"!!!

Andy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the fact that you quoted a dr pepper advert!!!

Lozza