Tuesday 14 September 2010

Supporter or Follower?

This is my first season as an Albion season ticket holder. For many years I have contemplated getting one but never quite made the step to purchasing one, for all sorts of reasons...the distance, the time, the cost...to name but a few reasons. This year I have taken the step and purchased my ticket, I now consider myself a true supporter.

How have I come to this conclusion? Earlier in the year myself and a few members of my family went on a tour of the Hawthorns (Albion's stadium) which was conducted by the now retired, former club secretary...a very knowledgeable man!

As he was conducting the tour he was bemoaning the many changes that had happened in the game. One being the changes in supporters, particularly around corporate entertainment. At the time Albion had once again been relegated from the Premier league and he had noted once again the drop off in some support as Albion were striving for promotion out of the championship back to the Premier League.

Quite simply he said this was the difference between being a supporter or a follower....supporters part with their cash, time, and in Albion's case their finger nails whilst a follower will be here when the going is good and it suits them.

My point in this.....being a Christian can sometimes be very similar.....question for each one of us are we a follower or a supporter?

Andy

No comments: